From Kathleen Sloan-Mcintosh, Canadian Gardening Magazine
- 2 lbs purple potatoes or other waxy varieties (such as fingerling, red or even ‘Yukon Gold’), scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
11⁄4 cups heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
In a large bowl, toss potatoes with garlic, cream, salt and pepper until spuds are coated.
Use half the olive oil to grease a 9-inch (2.5-L) baking dish. Add half the potato mixture, arranging as you wish; scatter half the sage leaves overtop. Add remaining potatoes (along with any accumulated liquid) and sage leaves. Drizzle with last bit of olive oil.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, removing foil halfway through so potatoes get crusty and golden brown. Sprinkle parmesan over surface 5 minutes before removing from oven. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 4 to 6
Purple Potato and Fresh Sage Gratin