Community Shared Agriculture
We believe that COMMUNITY Shared Agriculture applies between farmers and consumers, but also amongst and between farmers. We are tight with our local farming community and have forged partnerships with other organic farms to better serve local communities healthy, organic, delicious produce with strong values and committments towards stewarding the land we live and work on with ecological consciousness and an acknowledgement of the fact that we are on unceded First Nation land.
We have two CSA programs!
1. Glen Valley Organic Farm CSA- WE ARE FULL FOR THE 2021 SEASON!
We live and farm at Glen Valley Organic Farm Co-op and as such have partnered with Close to Home Organics who also live and farm on this beautiful 50 acre property. Together, we offer a Harvest Box (Full Box- every week or Half box- every other week) from May/June to October. We also work in collaboration with Snowy Mountain Organics and a select few other local organic farms. Sign-up for new members begins Jan 29, 2021. Learn more and sign-up here: https://www.glenvalleycsa.com
2. Earth Apple Organic Farm Market CSA- WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING NEW MEMBERS!
A new twist on the traditional CSA model since 2020. In an attempt to get fresh, organic produce directly to people in a safe manner we decided to go online! We worked with an online platform that allowed our members to pick and choose what they would like to receive each week. In this way we were able to pre-pack orders, bring them to the farmers market and leave their order behind our stall so members did not have to get in line at the farmers market. It worked really well and we are excited to make some adjustments to run it this way again in 2021.
Earth Apple Organic Farm is back at the farmers markets in March 2021 with early greens and eggs to start. We are also looking forward to continuing to work with our partner farms in the Farm Circle Organics Collective. Many hands make light work and an abundance of high quality produce!
How it works:
- Decide on the credit value that you will use within one season (Mid-March to October).*
- $300 Fair Share
- $600 Sustenance Share
- $900 Mega Munchie Share
- Record your member card number somewhere you you will be able to find it at home or on the go (eg.on your smart phone or in your wallet). Previous members will use the same member number and new members will receive their member number by email after signing up and payment is made.
- Either preorder your items by Thursday at midnight each week you desire (minimum order is $21/week OR pick and choose your items from our stall at the farmers market (no minimum order but you do have to line up at the market). Link for preorders will be made available once member has signed up and paid for their share.
- We attend two markets on Saturday every week where you can pick up your order or use your member card to select items on the spot
- Preorder items will not include fruit from Snowy Mountain Organics, but you will be able to use your credit to purchase these items from the farmers market stall. We ask that no more than 50% of your credit be applied to fruit from Snowy.**
- Be ready to cook some amazing meals using flavourful, nutrient-dense, organic, BC grown produce!
*Choose a credit amount that you think you can use up in one season. Credit will carry over to the next season, but we prefer you use it all up in one season. Also you can always add more credit if you run out before the end of October.
**For the past couple of years Earth Apple Organic Farm has been a part of the Farm Circle Organics Collective. We work with a few other BC Certified Organic farms by sharing the work load of selling at farmers markets. Look for the Farm Circle sign at the two markets we, Earth Apple, attends to use your credit.
For your 2021 CSA Market Share:
Benefits of the Market CSA model:
- You don't have to commit to picking up vegetables every week
- You pick and choose what you would like to receive in your box
- You receive first call on fresh, organic produce before farmers market goers
- You receive options to purchase items we may not normally even bother bringing to market (items that we may only have a little bit of on the farm, but would like to share!)
- You don't have to wait in line at the farmers market
- Plan your meals by viewing what will be available ahead of time from the comfort of your home
WHAT IS COMMUNITY SHARED AGRICULTURE (CSA)?
Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is a type of farm program that recognizes the importance of the relationship between producer and consumer and is based on the understanding that operating a small-scale sustainable farm is a community-oriented endeavour. Both farmer and consumer share responsibility in both the benefits (fresh, local, healthy and ethically grown produce) and risks (bad weather, illness, pests) that are inherently involved in the practice of organic farming. The consumer gives the farmer one easy payment early in the year when the biggest expenses (leases, seed, fertilizer, equipment maintenance/repair, rentals, tilling, etc) are incurred by the farmer and the CSA member benefits from a weekly supply of the freshest and tastiest produce throughout the growing season. We’ve heard over and over again from CSA members that they love this program, because it encourages a well-rounded diet full of vegetables, encourages them to be creative and often leads to more socializing with friends so they can share the bounty and show off their new culinary skills! Please note that the CSA is not a bulk buyers club, however get on our list to hear updates about bulk buying opportunities (tomatoes, blueberries, pickling cucumbers, potatoes). This year we have decided that farmers are better at what they do when they work together. After all, agriculture's roots are based in communities of folks helping each other out and trading with one another to diversify their product bases. We all want increased benefits for our members and a stronger foundation from which to do that- by cooperating with one another we have that advantage. Thus Earth Apple Organic Farm, Close to Home Organics and Snowy Mountain Organics are forging ties and working with a model that we believe will benefit everyone. Please join us in this circle of delicious potential!
May-June: Peas/ Spinach/ Salad Greens/ Arugula/ Green Onions/ Kale/ Radish/ Salad Turnips/ Choi/ Fennel Bulb/ Rhubarb/ Kohlrabi/Nettles July-August: New Potatoes/ Blueberries/ String Beans/ Spinach/ Salad Greens/ Beets/ Carrots/ Garlic Scapes/ Green Onions/ Kale/ Radish/ Swiss Chard/ Tomato/ Cucumber/ Sweet Peppers/ Eggplant/ Summer Squash/ Broccoli/ Cabbage/ Basil/ Cilantro/ Parsley/ Sweet Corn/ Fennel Bulb September-October: Potatoes/ Garlic/ Carrots/ Cabbage/ Romano Beans/ Spinach/ Lettuce/ Beets/ Carrots/ Leeks/ Onions/ Kale/ Radish/ Swiss Chard/ Tomato/ Cucumber/ Sweet Peppers/ Broccoli/ Cauliflower/Rutabaga/ Summer Squash/ Winter Squash/ Cabbage/ Fennel Bulb/ Cilantro/ Parsley October-November: Potatoes/ Garlic/ Onions/ Carrots/ Beets/ Cabbage/ Baby greens/ Kale/ Radish/ Turnip/ Rutabaga/ Broccoli/ Winter Squash/ Brussel Sprouts/ Cilantro/ *Please note that some vegetables are in season for a long periods of time, such as summer squash, kale & beans. Thus you will see them in you box multiple times (or throughout the season as is the case with kale). Be ready to find creative and delicious ways to keep your recipes and meal ideas fresh and fun! _______________________________________________________________________