Work at Earth Apple Organic Farm!
Update! We’ve filled all postions for the 2018 season! Please keep us in mind for next year 🙂
Position Title: Apprenticeship
Location: Earth Apple Farm at Glen Valley Organic Farm Co-op, Abbotsford, BC
Application Deadline: February 15 , 2018
About Earth Apple Organic Farm:
Earth Apple Organic Farm’s mission is to continue to evolve through shared learning and practice into a reliable, safe and healthy contributor to food security in our communities. Through optimum utilization of the landscape for annual crops production, we employ appropriate soil and water conservation techniques and ensure safe wildlife habitat through the practicing of non-invasive and organic methods. Our foundation lies on the sturdy and sustenance-offering potato (earth apples), hence our particular penchant for growing hearty root crops to this day, but we also grow a wide assortment of other greens, nightshades, brassicas, legumes, alliums and fruit! This will be our 7th year running a Community Shared Agriculture Harvest Box program and we will be attending one farmers market each week throughout the summer and winter season.
Summary of position:
Earth Apple Organic Farm is seeking 1-2 apprentices for the 2018 season. This is a fantastic opportunity for folks that enjoy working hard outdoors and want to learn more about the small-scale organic farm work/life style.
Position responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Harvesting fruits & vegetables at a high pace
- Washing fruit and veg according to food safe standards with an eye for quality
- Bunching, bagging and preparing produce for CSA Harvest Boxes, Farmers Markets and Restaurant orders weekly
- Washing totes, harvest bins, moving scraps to compost and general clean up
- Feeding hens, collecting/washing eggs and barn clean up
- Occasionally may include other general farm maintenance activities
- Inventory management
- Potentially making deliveries to customers & staffing our stall at the weekly farmers market
- A deep interest in learning about small-scale organic vegetable farming.
- The ideal candidate has experience in fieldwork and/or outdoor labour. Farm experience is a bonus, but not required!
- S/he should be able to lift up to 50 lbs and be comfortable using and/or learning to use a variety of tools and farm equipment.
- Many tasks are repetitive, physically demanding and require attention to using core strength and an awareness of ergonomics to avoid injury and maintain good health.
- An ability to be flexible, work independently and also with a team is super important.
- A commitment to the full 26-week term.
- Able to accommodate early mornings and occasional evenings, weekends an asset.
Estimated start date: April 2018
Contract end date: October/November, 2018
Term: 30-36 week contract with possibility of extension (terms are negotiable)
Hours: Approximately 35-40 hrs/wk
*Your ability to be flexible about your hours on occasion (some earlier mornings, evenings or weekends) is an asset.
Reports to: Farm Director/Owner and Farm Managers
Compensation: $11.35/hr with option for housing in our lovely tiny house.
How to apply:
Submit your resume by email and a one-page cover letter clearly stating why you’re interested in the apprenticeship at Earth Apple Organic Farm and your suitability for the position based on your experience, skills and qualifications. Please pdf your submission into one document (example: farmer_Jane.pdf)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Earth Apple Farm is committed to hiring based on merit and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, or sexual orientation. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada.
Volunteer at Earth Apple Organic Farm!
There are many opportunities to lend a hand at Earth Apple Farm at Glen Valley Organic Farm Co-op. Help collect and wash the chicken and duck eggs, harvest veggies, meditate over weeding and lend a helping hand at the weekly farmers markets! If you’re interested in spending some time in the soil, let us know by email and we will follow up with you for a visit and interview 🙂